September 19, 2007

Monday

What a crappy Monday. My grandma died (see previous post) and I spent the night in the ER with Addy. She's fine now. She had a fever and I called the pediatrician who told me I needed to take her to the ER just to be safe. Jake and I briefly thought about not going, but decided it's probably best to take her. I said no spinal tap unless they felt it was necessary AFTER the blood and urine tests. The blood draw was very messy because the nurse couldn't find someone to help change the vials and I was busy holding down Addy. So, she let the line drip and held the vial underneath to catch what she could. It was not pretty. We were there forever and finally we could go home. No admittance necessary.

I checked out some websites to get tips about explaining to Josie why Great Grandma won't be coming to dinner any more. It's very bad to use the words "sleep", "rest" and "gone away". I'm supposed to be very honest and let her ask me all the questions she wants. I'm supposed to tell her before she asks "where's great grandma?". Josie bonded with her and I think she'll miss her very much. Rambler is too young to really understand and of course, Addy won't know.

It was a very bad beginning to the week; it can only get better, right? Joan is coming to visit in a couple of weeks and that's exciting. The kids will be especially happy to hear that! And I think we'll kick off the beginning of Fall with a trip to the apple orchard.

Thank you to everyone who sent their condolences. We really appreciate your kind words and your emotional support! It feels very strange to be going through my grandma's things. It felt awful to be excited about getting to take her picture of Thelonious Monk. And it was really depressing going through the same knick-knacks that we just helped her display a month ago. She was my last grandparent and even though she was 88, almost 89, her death was a surprise. Fortunately, it seemed peaceful; she died in her own bed, probably while she slept.

1 comment:

Ma Fray said...

Hi Andi, I am really so sad for you. I know the kids were just loving her- it will be very hard for them to understand. Jake's grandfather Joe died when he was four, and he seemed to understand about death--ceasing to exist in body etc. But then about a month later he said, "I understand about Grandpa being dead and all, but where's his skeleton?!" They will take in as much as they can I suppose........... Can't wait to see you ALL! xxoo Somi