April 7, 2009

Spring

I can't believe it's April! The weather lately hasn't helped -- this weekend was snowy, windy and just downright unpleasant. We trekked to the Botanic Gardens on Sunday but ended up staying in the greenhouses because it was just too cold to run around outside.

Josie and Rambler had their first soccer class. It was very cute. I was impressed with how well they did. More importantly, they listened to the coach and had a great time. When the two of them are in the same class they pay close attention to where the other is and Josie keeps especially close tabs on Rambler. It's very cute and she's very protective when they are out of the house; I wish sometimes she could let go a little and focus on herself. She does okay at swim class where they are in the water at the same time, but usually across the pool from each other and always with different instructors. She still needs to locate him every so often though. And no matter where we go, everyone thinks they're twins.

So I spend Saturday mornings running kids from class to class and talking to other parents and I've come to really enjoy it. I used to bring a magazine to hide behind and I'd put up my "don't talk to me face". I've made some friends and I find myself looking forward to the Saturday drill. There's a sense of community and there are a few parents in particular I've come to feel a connection with. That was bad sentence structure; thought I'd let you know that I know. There are always some parents that are just plain crazy. The parents that believe the 3 year old ice skating class is the Olympics. The 4 year old learning how to kick a soccer ball is actually playing the World Cup.

Passover begins tomorrow. I really hope the kids allow us to read a bit from my haggadah. I pieced it together many years ago from different haggadot and it's come to be something I really enjoy reading. I've removed a lot of the religiousness and tried to stick to the story -- with a strong emphasis on the themes of inclusiveness, love, empowerment and growth. I hope my children come to enjoy Passover as much as I always have.

And then there's Easter coming up this Sunday! I just absolutely love that I married a WASP. I get to do all the fun stuff while skipping the icky religious parts. I hope that doesn't offend anyone; I don't mean to berate or degrade anyone's belief system. I hold religion in the highest respect for others. It's just not me. Sometimes I really really wish I were religious. But, I had a wonderful time stuffing toys and candy into those adorable little eggs and I can't wait to watch the kids find them! And I got 2 egg dyeing kits.

Now, here's hoping the weather catches on that it's spring!

No comments: