December 11, 2010

Finally

I have been meaning to post something on here for over a month. Now, I'm not sure if I want to try to backdate life and state events, or ramble on about right here and now. I'm going to relax and see where my mind goes and what my fingers type...

I'm in Cozumel, Mexico right now. It was a strange turn of events getting here. Back in April, Jake and I went with my boss and his soulmate to a fundraiser event. It was a nice warm evening and bossman was more restless and excited than usual -- he made us reservations at Gibson's Steakhouse before we even sat down to dinner. We walked around the silent auction and made some bids on random things. After dinner, we remained seated for the live auction. There were less than 10 items. Jake turned to me and told me that he loves me and that he wants to do something to celebrate "us". For the Cozumel vacation, Jake raised his paddle amongst several others. The bidding continued and Jake held out. I can't describe how I felt -- proud, humbled, love, exhiliration. I told bossman that I'd need vacation time and a raise.

It turned out that my company credit card was linked to the paddle and because bossman is so generous and giving, I was sure he'd let me pay it back in portions. I was not prepared for him to tell me not to pay it back at all.

Jake did all the work to get us here. He had his parents fly in to watch the kids. He figured out the tickets and the condo. He cleaned and he prepared the house. I made sure we got our passports.

And on Sunday afternoon, we arrived in blindingly bright Mexico. Our condo is private and the beach is beautiful and it's so warm and sunny and peaceful. Jake and I have been completely enjoying each other's company and allowing ourselves to totally focus on "us".

I am an extremely lucky girl.

Of course, it hasn't all been sun and fun and relaxation. Nope, it's me, and I am my father's daughter. My father had a habit of getting something awful whenever he used to travel with my mother. I woke up Tuesday morning feeling hopeful and excited about what the day would bring. I figured it would be a great day to snorkel. Jake and I got our swimsuits on and got ready to go. I don't remember it coming on, but I was suddenly very aware of a sharp pain inside. I know this pain too well. But, I deny. I tell myself and Jake, "I just need to lie down for a bit, then I'll be fine". I'm not fine.

Jake goes to the resort next door to ask about a doctor. He comes back and I hear him trying to make a phone call, but it's not going through. He goes to talk to someone at the front gate of our condo complex. He says that we have to take a taxi to the hospital.

The taxi ride was about 15 minutes, felt like 30. Every bump, every turn, every stop. I held on to my bag of vomit and focused on staying quiet and calm. Jake talked with the driver and learned how to say "kidney stone", "pain" and "injection" in Spanish. We walked into the hospital and sat down. There was a handful of people waiting but they took one look at me and heard Jake say the magic words in Spanish and I was very quickly taken inside and within minutes given a shot of sweet morphine. 10 minutes later I was getting an x-ray. Cortisone, IV of saline and more morphine. Pee in the cup. No surprise, I have a kidney stone.

I don't know what Jake did for the next 2 hours while I laid there mostly sleeping. He didn't leave. He didn't complain. He stayed with me the entire time and brushed away my constant "I'm so sorries" with "Hey, this was the best time for this to happen because we don't have to worry about work and kids and life." I told you, I'm a very lucky girl.

The doctor gave me two prescriptions -- one for an antibiotic and one for a painkiller. Because tourists like to come to Mexico and buy drugs that require prescriptions in America, Cozumel does not carry strong painkillers in the pharmacies. My prescription was for Tylenol. Really, I don't know why the doctor even wrote out prescriptions -- both meds were over the counter. I spotted a bottle of Ultram -- similar to codeine -- and we bought that with the antibiotic.

Insurance is no good here, so we had to pay before we could leave the hospital. The total was about $700 USD. I've seen the bills from my other kidney stones and they are never less than $2,500. And the speed at which I was treated was amazing. I was also treated very respectfully. I knew what was wrong with me and they agreed, rather than the usual attitude of, "We'll see. You're not a doctor".

So, one day was not so good, but we've been snorkeling and walking on the beach and shopping and really enjoying our time. And tomorrow we go back to the cold and snow. But, we also go back to our kids and work and life and I'm ready. We'll get a tree and decorate the house and enjoy the life we spent 15 years building together.

I'm such a lucky girl.

1 comment:

Ma Fray said...

Awwww, that's so sweet! Jake's a lucky guy, too!