August 3, 2007

The Clause

Addy had her one-month check-up yesterday. She's doing really well but wait for it --- for having a hole in her heart. It's the clause that comes after each sentence of praise from the doctor. I forget about it because Addy seems so normal. Okay, so twice a day I give her a little medication, but that's no big deal. Her 0-3 month size clothing appears smaller on her. Her cheeks are plumping up and have a rosy color and she smiles real smiles at me. And I want so much for her to be perfectly healthy. It's not the doctor's fault; I actually really like her. It's just that she's grounded in medical reality and I'm not so much. So she says "for having a hole in her heart". As in, "she now weighs 9 pounds; that's really amazing -- great for having a hole in her heart."

We go back to the cardiologist in about 2 weeks. We'll know more then (I'm still stubbornly holding out hope that she's going to outgrow this), but for now, surgery is on for when Addy's 6 months old. Jake and I have to get a bunch of vaccinations (including one for whooping cough!) and we have to try to keep Addy from getting sick. So, daycare does not seem to be an option. I am extremely lucky to have a very understanding boss who is willing to give me some time to figure out a solution -- a way to take care of my sweet Adaline and to take care of work.

Speaking of work, Jake had to take off to Kansas for 3 days this week. I was pretty nervous, but we got through it and even had some fun. We talked about hiring someone to help me out with bedtime, but I ended up going solo and I felt like I had it under control. I'm really glad Jake is back now though! And I got to go out for a much needed drink last night. Oh, how I missed the mojitos....

No comments: