August 4, 2008

The Great Clean

Jake, Josie and Rambler left for CA on Thursday morning. Addy and I have been keeping very busy while they're gone. And I've done more cleaning that will actually last than I've done in well, at least 4 years. I set up a schedule. I tried to vacuum with Addy but she's terrified of it. Even when it's off, the mere sight of the vacuum cleaner sets off hysterics. So, when she went to bed I vacuumed every room but hers. I cleaned the baseboards last night. Inside of the fridge before that. For some reason, the vacuum at the do-it-yourself car wash is acceptable so I was able to take her over there yesterday to clean the van. Lots of quarters later, most of the glitter and cracker mess is gone.

We did fun things too -- had a visit from Kim and Madi and later, visited them at their new, really nice house. Had breakfast at the yacht club and played in the kiddie pool at the boat with Grandma and Grandpa. Walked to the store for groceries. Went to Target for new Addy shoes -- ones that she'll actually allow to remain on her little feet. And played a lot -- in every room of the house and the backyard. And, wonderfully, had naptime.

This morning, Addy woke up at 5:00 and wasn't going to stay in her crib. So I gave her some milk and we lounged in my bed. She finally fell asleep curled up with me. I woke up at 6:30 and thought, "5 more minutes and I'll get in the shower". Woke up at 8:15 with a warm little Addy still sleeping curled up with me. The last thing I wanted to do was to get up, but I did and she woke up and we got our day started. She missed breakfast at daycare so I fed her and we didn't rush too much, since I was already late. I tore my last contact lens and only have these stupid gray-colored ones. Hopefully I'll be able to get an appointment today for a new prescription (because of course, mine is expired) so I can have normal eyes again.

Jake left yesterday to go backpacking at Yosemite with his dad and some friends. The kids are having a great time with Somi. I talked to them last night and they're doing really well and looking forward to all the adventures that are planned with Adaline and Holly and everyone else. So far, no homesickness.

No comments: