August 22, 2008

Back to 5

And now we are back to being a family of 5 together. Very soon, the routines will change slightly; Josie is moving up to the pre-kindergarten room at school. Rambler is moving into Josie's former pre-school room. They're signed up for Saturday classes to start in September: swim, gymnastics and ice skating. Busy, busy, busy in a wonderful way.

So this past weekend? We kept busy despite only having swim classes to get to. We went to the farmer's market, where the local fire department was giving kids tours of the trucks and handing out hats.
Rambler takes his firefighter status very seriously.
Then it was off to see the air show! My coworker, Steve, very kindly invited us up to his rooftop deck in Lincoln Park to watch the Blue Angels do what they do. Addy was a little freaked out by the noise of the first plane, but quickly got over it and wanted to wander all over the roof. Josie and Rambler were a little more into the planes, but it didn't hold their attention for as long as I had hoped. Steve showed amazing patience and graciousness in letting us into his apartment to hang out for a while before heading back home.
You have to look closely, but back behind my head are 4 Blue Angels.

Yesterday, I left work early (um, I kinda just left at 10:30) to get a replenishing nap in before taking Addy to Sam's Club (where she waved at absolutely every single customer) to get stocked up on tp, diapers, etc. Then we picked up the kids and tried on Halloween costumes -- I know, it's early, but you gotta get stuff while it's in stock and on sale! And then they had the bubbliest bubble bath ever before we headed off to my parents' house for dinner. It was a great day and I feel so recharged from it. And today, I ran to the bank for work and then just walked right into Great Clips and had a woman hack off about 4 inches of my hair. It was spontaneous and fun and I feel free. So, my coworker asked me, "where's this spontaneity coming from?" I thought about it and I feel that it has to do with Ecky's death. Ecky was a friend from long ago and I haven't seen him, or honestly, really thought about him for about 5 years. I was randomly reading the obits and came across his and yesterday was his visitation and today is his funeral. The Ecky that I knew (and remember, I knew him 13 years ago) was free-spirited and high-spirited and spontaneous and funny and just, well, fun. So, maybe I channeled some Ecky in the last couple of days.

This hibiscus is Penelope. She was a gift from my boss and his girlfriend; she graced my office briefly before quickly heading for death. I took her home and put it outside and her rebirth is amazing! I really should have taken the "before" shot but I was afraid it would be too morbid if she didn't come back from the brink (and I really didn't think she was gonna come back).

No comments: